Whilst sitting around a campfire, it's fun to have some games to play. These are a few of ours- some are more authentic than others, some are gambling games whilst others are drinking games, but all are fun!
The Vikings had various words for games and entertainment, covering everything from drinking and storytelling to gambling and dice games, board games, wrestling and other physical games, juggling daggers, story or riddle telling, ball games (including a two-player game involving balls and sticks we sadly don't have the rules for), swimming, skiing, skating, hunting, archery, practical joking, "turf" (throwing lumps of earth at each other, apparently), horse riding and animal-fighting.
See also our page on Fighting Games, which are definitely NOT recommended for campfire use!
- Nine Men's Morris
- Lore and Saga has a page on Nine Men's Morris (offsite)
- Regia's games page has several riddles (offsite)
- The Kalamazoo Riddle Group have all of the Exeter Book riddles online (offsite)
Tests of Warriors
- Tests of Strength
- Tests of Skill: Topless Knife Fighting
- Tests of Wits and Endurance: The Spoon Game. But we don't talk about the spoon game, it needs to be experienced first hand.